Stay secure: Be cautious of phone calls claiming to be from UNFCU reporting fraud on your accounts.  Contact us directly to verify.

Form W-8BEN

If you are not a US taxpayer, let us know by completing the US Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Form W-8BEN. You need to file this form every three years to verify that you remain a non-US taxpayer.

Without your valid W-8BEN form, we need to apply the annual withholding rules required for US taxpayers to your accounts:

  • We will withhold up to 30% of the interest you earned during the year.
  • The money we withhold will be sent to the IRS.
  • If you do not file taxes in the US, it may be difficult to reclaim your money from the IRS.

You need to include your foreign tax identifying number (foreign TIN) in your W-8BEN form. Without it, the IRS considers your form incomplete unless you also complete the Explanation of Missing Foreign Tax Identifying Number form (PDF).

Enclose a completed Explanation of Foreign Status form (PDF) if you have any US affiliations. 

Members with a valid W-8BEN form who earned at least $10.00 in interest will receive a Form 1042-S. The IRS does not require any action with this form. It simply tells the IRS how much interest you earned during the year.

Download Form W-8BEN


Need help completing the forms?

Please consult with your tax advisor. Also, download the sample of each form below to see which sections are mandatory and how to complete the required fields:

Form W-8BEN sample (PDF)

Explanation of Foreign Status form sample (PDF)

More helpful resources

View all

Foreign tax identifying number


Form 1042-S 


Form W-9