Stay Secure: Be cautious of phone calls claiming to be from UNFCU reporting fraud on your accounts.  Contact us directly to verify.
Maintenance: On 14 July, Digital Banking will be unavailable from 9:30 to 14:00 New York time.

Open a high-yield savings account

This account is specifically designed to help you grow your money faster with tiered dividend rates and no minimum balance requirement 

Open a high-yield savings account

  1. Sign into Digital Banking 

  2. Under Account Services, select Open Deposit Account. 

  3. Complete and submit the High-Yield Savings online form.   

High-yield savings account FAQs

A share is a deposit in a credit union. It is not related to the stock market. The money you deposit with us is called a share.

Our high-yield savings account is a tiered savings account. You can earn higher rates as you increase your balance in the account.

The dividend rate for the high-yield savings account is not fixed and may fluctuate over time. We review market rates each week to evaluate the overall interest rate environment. We also look at rates being offered by other financial institutions. These factors may lead to UNFCU changing the rate for its high-yield savings. If you are looking to lock in a dividend rate for a period of time, consider UNFCU's share certificates

Yes, the money in your savings, checking, and share certificate accounts is insured to at least $250,000. This insurance is provided by the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA), a US government agency. View our guide for information on maximizing your coverage.

All UNFCU share and loan accounts are in USD. US-based credit unions cannot offer accounts in other currencies. Although we serve a global membership, UNFCU is established in the United States. We are therefore subject to the laws and regulations of the US. In order for your shares to be insured by the NCUA, UNFCU must comply with these restrictions.

You may have one joint account holder on each account.

If you have both a savings and checking account, your debit card purchases will be linked to your checking account. 

Some ATMs will give you the option to choose whether to take the money from your checking or savings account. If the ATM does not allow you to choose, the money will be withdrawn from your checking account.

If you do not have enough money in your checking account to cover a payment, Savings Overdraft can protect you. This service will automatically transfer money from your savings account to cover the payment from your checking account. It will even cover payments you had pre-scheduled for your UNFCU consumer loan and/or mortgage. You will be charged a fee each time money is transferred to cover an overdraft. 

To avoid this fee, increase the balance of your checking account to cover all your expenses for the month. You can also apply for a line of credit as another form of overdraft protection.

More helpful resources

View all
Savings & Spending Accounts

Update share certificate renewal options 

Savings & Spending Accounts

Set up overdraft protection

Savings & Spending Accounts

Request a Flex Rate increase